Friday, January 25, 2008

Baking bread

This afternoon after a quick trip to the grocery store, Ezra and I decided that today is a good day to make some bread. While he has watched and helped me in the past making cookies or banana bread, I thought that it was way overdue that he make yeast bread.

No pictures to post, just the vision in my head of him carefully measuring the flour, scraping the measuring cup with the back of a knife to level the flour, then watching him stir and knead and really get into it. We're waiting for its first rise now. Not sure if he kneaded it enough. I tried to butt in a few times to give the dough a few good nudges, but was quickly reminded by my son that it was his turn!

He said, "This is fun for children to do with their mommies..." how sweet. And I really enjoyed it too. Children can do a lot more than we give them credit for. That being said, I was reading about the cotton mills here in Newton back in the early 1900s. The child labor being used was rampant here and most other mills in the South. I looked at some photos of these young children and it made me sad.

I digress... :)

There's a few books by Mollie Katzen of the Moosewood Cookbook fame specifically geared toward children (preschool through eight and up). I am waiting for them to be returned to the library.
Pretend Soup
Honest Pretzels
Salad People

Maybe the next time we cook or bake together, we can get a few photos.

2 comments:

Aimee D said...

you are braver than me...or maybe just a better mom :)

Jennifer said...

Puh-lease! We are just different!! I do not have the patience it takes to sew all those crafty clothes and animals and Halloween outfits for the kids like SOME people do.