Thursday, February 7, 2008

Goodbye little crabbies

I came to the decision a few days ago that I really need to find another home for our hermit crabs. I do not have the time to keep their home adjusted and clean and helpful for happy crabs. We've had them since about May, when Grandma bought Ezra his first, Spongebob.

It was a tough decision, because I have grown attached to them in a weird way. They are fascinating little creatures and have had five successful molts! We started out with the teeny tiny cage they give you at the beach shop, then we got a 2 gallon tank. Reading more, I decided to go to a 10 gallon tank and get them a few more friends.

There's too much going on at my house to care for them the way I'd like to. I decided to post something on the Freecycle group I belong to. The next morning, I got an email from someone who has had 2 crabs for 6 years and before that owned many crabs in Florida. I felt really good about choosing her to be their new mother.

When it came to telling Ezra, I knew I needed to tell him and not just get rid of them on the sly. I told him this afternoon that they were going to a new home tomorrow because I couldn't give them the care they needed. I saw it register on his face, then he started to cry a little at first, then even more. I felt so bad.

He said, "I'll help you take care of them, Mommy."

That broke my heart. I didn't count on him being so attached to them, since I am the only one who takes care of them. He begged and pleaded, but I tried to convince that they will be happier with some new crab friends who have a nice home. The woman who is taking them said that her crabs actually *sing* to each other, which is very rare in captivity (it means they're happy). I talked to him that maybe later on when he's older, he can get some more hermit crabs and take care of them with me. And maybe we'll get some fish. Much less upkeep.

It will be sad to see them go, but I know that I need less stress and responsibility on my plate...and that they deserve to learn how to sing!

2 comments:

Aimee D said...

sing little crabbies sing!

Jennifer said...

I think the crabs will do very well. The woman who took them knows what she's talking about and she says she'll send me (and Ezra) photos of the crabbies in their new home.