Monday, February 11, 2008

On a postive note...

I just got back from the downtown Newton Community Vision meeting. And let me tell you, I am fired up! Previously, a community survey went out asking residents to rate the downtown and give their opinions on this and that. Tonight was an open meeting to go over the strengths and weaknesses of our downtown and then to come up with our own vision for Newton in 5 years.

Lots of people in business attire (I was wearing jeans and sneakers) and lots of schmoozing. But I still felt confident going in there, because the revitalization of our little town is something I have been thinking about for a long time. This afternoon, I got to talk with Phyllis of Phyllis' Crafts, a downtown shop that has been there for over 20 years. The name says 'crafts' but it should be considered more of a fire hazard...simply because of the huge amounts of products she has stacked in there. She's actually my neighbor behind us and we started talking about that, then about the forum tonight. I think she's just tired of the business. She has tried radio ads, putting everything (literally) on sale, so on and so forth, but her business is really slow.

So, two hours later, I was leaving there and I felt like I had made a friend.

Anyway, the forum really energized me and we all talked about the things we want to see happen to our town. There were more than just business owners who showed up. Residents and other business people other than from the downtown area showed up. And I think, by the end of the forum, people really believed that Newton could become this little destination where there are greenways, live music, shopping, variety of restaurants, a community garden and a spa. I saw so many people smiling and hopeful that something like this was not a crazy idea. And it's not just up to the downtown business owners to make change happen. Our community has to buy into the idea that it is up to them. To support, to volunteer, to be a part of the change, and not just to enjoy it if and when it comes.

Anyway, there are some interesting developments approaching. Melinda told me about a new possible part time position opening with Conover and the potential farmer's market opening there. Then I was told about the part time position opening with the Downtown Newton Development Association. Apparently, though, the business owners drove the current employee away by the politics and the stubbornness. But after tonight, who knows what is possible. And it is clear that it is not only for the business owners to be involved with. It is up to families and churches and clubs and schools to all get involved to make our town more valuable.

I was even told by some of the business owners after reading my vision that I should run for mayor!! :)

Maybe I missed my calling, or maybe I am just beginning to see it develop. Yet to be seen I guess, but I won't be leaving this thing alone.

1 comment:

Aimee D said...

Hey, I would vote for you!