Thursday, March 13, 2008

Your Life's Melody

Thanks to my mom, Dorothy, for allowing me to share this amazing bit of encouragement with you. She wrote this the other day and emailed me with it.

“He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.” ~Psalm 40:3

I recently bought the soundtrack of South Pacific, a favorite of mine. I’ve always loved the old classic musicals; West Side Story, Oklahoma, My Fair Lady and of course, South Pacific to name a few. I was listening to “Happy Talk”, one of the songs of South Pacific and noticed how the notes went all over the place…up and down…a charming, catchy tune. It occurred to me…kind of like an epiphany….that our lives are so similar to a melody. We have our ups and downs in life.

And I was wondering if you were able to chart your ups and downs on a musical score, a melody would surely form. What kind of melody, I’m not sure! But it gave me some encouragement that maybe I would like my melody, created by all my life’s challenges and battles, better than just looking at the musical score with just one note all the way through the song. Like “johnny one note”. Pretty boring, wouldn’t you think?

Normally we Christians don’t look at our battles as something we like. We do everything we can to get out of them…mostly on our own accord. But the thing is…the thing that just came to me….is that we need these ups and downs to have a life worth playing! And the greatest conductor, the One who can take our paltry songs and change them into something worth listening to, is Christ. He can change our little song into a magnificent overture!

1 comment:

Aimee D said...

Wow! What an awesome testimony! I love your mom!