Thursday, April 10, 2008

Consequences of Discipline

I've been having a time lately with Ezra. Not any one thing major, but sometimes he has the attitude of a teenager with the way he questions me (not the curious kind of questions, but the authority challenging kind) and the way he tries to talk himself out of doing what I ask him to do.

Anyway, tonight, I gave him a spanking for some backtalk. After our bedtime ritual of toothbrushing, reading and snuggling, I brought up the incident again. I asked him if he understood why he got a spanking. He said, yes he did.

I told him that I don't like to spank him but I want him to grow up respecting adults and those in charge.

Then he said, "That's okay, Mommy. Cause you know what's going to happen every time you give me a spanking?" And then he sat up in bed and moved closer to me. I didn't know what he was going to do!

"This is what's going to happen" and with that he leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. Then I realized that Ezra knows that we love him so much. That floored me.

If only I were that trusting and loving to God when I feel disciplined by Him! No guilt, no grudges, just simple trust and moving forward in sweetness.

5 comments:

Aimee D said...

oh how sweet! i love that...we've been talking about how we love him so much that we don't want him to growing up to be a man that doesn't bring glory to God and doesn't obey. backtalk must be a nearing 5 year old thing bc it's happening around here too.

Dorothy said...

The faith and innocence of a child...we can learn from them that is true. I took him with me to Aldi last week, and when I was looking for a quarter to put in the grocery buggy, I explained to him that's the only way to get the buggy by inserting a quarter. And then told him I usually leave the quarter in it for someone else to use. He wondered why I would do that...I told him to help other people cause I care about them. He hesitated a little, and then said, "Nana, I care about people too"...You never know what is in the heart of children!! I think more than we know.

Jennifer said...

Thanks Mom.

Unknown said...

He had another tough day today and as I tucked him in he said to me, "I've been in trouble a lot and I just want to get out of it!"

After thinking about this week and a half and he's been home with me...I think he's been acting up partially because he wants to get some kind - any kind of attention from us. Jason and I have been so preoccupied lately with things and I know he's been affected by it.

I just need to take more time away from the computer. Tonight we even had fun as we cleaned up the kitchen. He's big enough now to heft our plates into the dishwasher and he was a big helper.

Jennifer said...

Sorry, I just realized that I was logged in with Jason's eldritch account. :)